Sunday, November 9, 2008

Pumpkin Bread Pudding with Candied Ginger

Is is Sunday, which means dinner with Dave and John. I thought I was responsible for the entree but found out that Dorothy is going to make lasagna. Thanks Dorothy! I get to make dessert. Most of my friends know that I love baking (I was a baker years ago) but dont do it often because I am already pudgy enough.

So I thought I would make up a fun dessert. I had thought about making maple bundt cake, but something new sounded fun. I am going to make Pumpkin bread pudding with candied ginger. I have kind of outlined how I think I will make it. If I make any change, I will let you know in another post. I might add pecans, but I havent decided. I love nuts, but so many have allergies. I always get nervous that someone I dont know will show up and not be able to partake. I will also let you know if it turns out!

Ingredients:
- For the Bread Pudding -
1 Loaf Rich Egg Bread I will probably use Challah), cut into 1 inch cubes
1 Can Pure Pumpkin Puree (15 ounces)
3 Large Eggs, lightly beaten
2 Cups Whole Milk
1/2 Cup Crystallized (Candied) Ginger, chopped into small pieces
1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar, packed
1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
1 Teaspoon Nutmeg
1/2 Teaspoon Ground Ginger
Pinch of Salt

- For the Hot Buttered Sauce -
1 Stick (4 ounces) Unsalted Butter
1 Cup Heavy Cream
1 Cup Dark Brown Sugar, packed

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

For the Bread Pudding:
In a large bowl, whisk together the pumpkin puree, brown sugar, eggs, milk, salt and spices. Add the bread cubes and mix together. Fold in the candied ginger.
Pour ingredients into a deep baking dish. Let stand for 10 minutes to let the bread soak.
Place pan on a cookie sheet and place in oven. Bake until a toothpick or knife inserted into the center comes out clean, approximately 50 minutes. Good bread pudding is moist, so don't overcook.
For the Hot Buttered Sauce:
Melt the butter in a medium saucepan. Whisk in the brown sugar and heavy cream. Let the mixture just come to a boil.
To Serve:
Cut the bread pudding into slices and place onto dessert plates. Drizzle the hot butteredsauce over the top. If you like, you can add whipped cream and extra candied ginger.
Enjoy!

2 comments:

Allanna said...

Ooooh!! Sounds sinful!!

(word verification: quite -- See, even Google agrees with me!!)

You're going to have to post on how it turns out, you know!

Brooke said...

So, it was sinful and I made it even more sinful than I originally intended.

I was a little disappointed that no one was selling challah and I didnt want tot atake the time to make it, so I just used french bread.

I also used 1 cup whole milk and 1 cup heavy whipping cream.

I added chocolate chips.

I used way more cinnamon than I originally called for and added ground cloves.

It ended up SO nummy!!!!!

So easy too...you should try it Allanna!