Thursday, July 31, 2008

Gender Roles

So, earlier today, I wrote a blog about how easily some people get offended and how they need to get over it.

I write now to tell you that I am a total hipocrite.

Someone offended me on the highest level today. Few things offend me, but if any of you really want to get me all hot and bothered (and not in the good way), all you need to do is bring up gender roles.

I decided to try to strike up a convo with someone that I am really not that fond of today. Big Mistake!!! Mr. Stuffy (name changed here) had zucchini behind his desk, so I asked him if he was going to make bread. He gave me a strange look,so I pointed to the zukes.

He gave a disgusted look and told me that his wife, not him would be making the bread, because in his house they follow traditional gender roles. I tried to blow it off and commented that it was probably because she liked to cook and he didn't. He told me that it wasn't that at all- they followed proper gender roles...she did all domestic stuff and he worked outside the home. He told me all of this in a tone that I didn't really appreciate.

I decided that I would try to let it go. Those who know me well, know that I never just let something go...

Later, he was trying to get ahold of a certain travel agent, but couldn't. It was late afternoon, so I presented the idea that maybe she had gone homefor the day. He seemed disgusted and said that it she should be there for when he calls. I told him that she was probably at home baking bread... isn't that what she is supposed to do to fulfill her female role in life? He didn't like my answer. I am such a bitch and I love it!

Some say that arguing ignorance only makes it worse, but who is going to defend me if I don't?

"Men are not the enemy, but the fellow victims. The real enemy is women's denigration of themselves."
Betty Friedan (1921 - 2006)

I think that Mr. Stuffy can have whatever opinion he wants to have, but I really don't think it is appropriate or considerate of him to bring it up in a professional environment. He blantantly told me that he doesn't want me there. I don't really care if he doesn't, but I do care if he is unprofessional. And for the record, I don't want to work with him either.

"Women have more to offer this world than just a fallopian tube. Nothing is going to change until you quit looking at us as just sperm receptacles."
Barbara Hall, Northern Exposure, Baby Blues, 1994

No comments: