Wednesday, December 29, 2010

This time I get what I want!

So, I can't eat meat anymore..... Today, I am CRAVING steak with mushrooms. I have never before in my life craved this, but I always want what I cant have.

I am tired of that! I decided to make something that I am allowed to eat that would hopefully satisfy my craving.

Winter Portobello Mushroom Stew.

This is a quick stew (as long as you have the mushroom stock already prepared). Supposedly you can make it work with water rather than the stock, but I recommend trying the stock. It is fabulous. It is a really awesome alternative for broths with a very hearty flavor.

You can eat the stew with polenta, potatoes, pasta, or over toast. My uncle Richard and I had it over toast and with mushroom and herb risotto.

To make the stock:

You will need:
1/4 cup dried porcini mushrooms.
2 tsp. olive oil
1 coarsely chopped onion
1 chopped carrot
1 clove garlic
2 sliced mushrooms
2 tsp. tomato paste
1/2 cup cooking wine
salt
pepper
1 tsp red wine vinegar

Cover the dried mushrooms with 1 1/2 cups boiling water and set aside.

Heat the olive oil with the onion, garlic and 2 mushrooms. Saute over high heat until well browned (10 min?).

Reduce heat to medium and add 2 tsp. tomato paste. Stir in the wine and simmer until wine is reduced (roughly three minutes).

Add the porcini and their water, salt, pepper, and the vinegar.

Simmer for 20 minutes.

Strain and remove mushrooms. I left all the veggies in, but the shrooms get a little rubbery.


Winter Portobello Mushroom Stew

1/4 cup olive oil
1 large onion, diced
2 tsp. chopped fresh rosemary
salt and peppa
1/2 lb portobello mushrooms, sliced
1 lb. large white mushrooms, thickly sliced
2 garlic cloves, minced
3 tbsp. tomato paste
mushroom stock made above or 1 1/2 cups water
1 tsp red wine vinegar
1 tbsp. butter

Heat 1 tbsp oil over medium heat. Add the onion and rosemary and cook for about 12 minutes (till browned). Season with salt and pepper. Remove to a bowl.

Return the pan to medium heat and add half the remaining oil. When hot, saute the portobellos until browned (5 min). Then add them to the bowl with the onions.

Take the remaining oil and saute the white mushrooms.

Return everything to the pan. Add the garlic, tomato paste, mushroom stock, and vinegar. Simmer for 15 minutes.

Swirl in butter.

4 comments:

Allanna said...

Sounds yummy! I'm totally going to have to try it.

Too bad I'm the only one who'll eat it. Well, maybe my girlie will help. ^_^

Anonymous said...

Chaos is an adventure! lol, but read a few books to keep in touch with 'common' people. Thanks for the entertainment! See you around!

Unknown said...

I just found you site on bing, definitely gonna check out your other entries.This page is precious, I totally loved it, I’ll be back for much more!
==========
SEO Services

www.guccihandbagsoutlet.org said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.